Power of Attorney – Do You Need One?

Woman meeting with attorneysAdults with learning disabilities or psychiatric disabilities most often are legally competent to handle their own affairs. However, a person with a disability may wish to have some assistance from a parent, sibling, spouse, or friend in handling certain matters.

For example, an individual with severe mathematics disorder may wish the help of another person in handling financial affairs. Similarly, an individual with a psychiatric disorder may wish assistance in handling medical treatment decisions, especially if there may be subsequent time periods during which the individual may be deemed not competent to make medical decisions.

Sometimes, arrangements for this help cannot be handled completely informally. Privacy laws, such as The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), may prevent another person from being able to access medical information concerning an individual. HIPAA is a federal law that protects the privacy of an individual’s medical records and health information.

What is the solution? It may be the durable power of attorney.

Many of us are familiar with the use of a durable power of attorney in the context of a family member acting for an elderly parent who is no longer able to manage personal, financial, and/or medical affairs without assistance. However, the power of attorney is used far more broadly. For example, if a person plans to be outside the United States for several months, he or she may execute a power of attorney designating a trusted person to handle matters that arise during the absence. Similarly, a person with a disability that impacts on functioning in a particular area may find it helpful to execute a power of attorney granting appropriate power to a designated person.

What is a power of attorney?

The power of attorney is a document an individual signs and has notarized in order to appoint a trusted family member or friend to act for and in the place of such individual in the areas set forth in the power of attorney. The person appointed is called the attorney-in-fact (as distinct from an attorney-at-law, who must be licensed to practice law). Often, a second person is designated to act as attorney-in-fact, in the event that the first person cannot perform the duties. The areas in which the designated person may act include: personal matters, financial decisions, and medical affairs. There may be one comprehensive power of attorney, or there may be separate powers for medical and for financial matters.

What does “durable” mean?

The term “durable” means that the power of attorney shall continue in effect even if the maker of the power of attorney subsequently becomes incompetent. This means that the power of attorney will be in effect from the date of execution until the revocation of the power by the maker or the death of the maker. Language to make the power durable must appear in the power of attorney and often is to the effect that the power shall remain in full force and effect despite disability, incompetence, or incapacity, mental or physical, until revocation of the power by the maker or death of the maker. Note that, if the person granting the power subsequently becomes incompetent, that incompetence does not mean the person was not competent previously to execute the power of attorney. Competence to execute the power depends upon the ability of the individual to understand what her or she is doing at the time the power was executed.

What financial powers are contained in a power of attorney?

Financial powers contained in the power of attorney may include, for example: check signing, endorsing and depositing checks, sale of stocks, bonds and real property, representation in tax matters, retaining counsel and handling insurance matters.

What medical powers are included in a power of attorney?

Medical powers may include, for example: authorize admissions to hospitals, agree to medical care, and authorize withholding medical treatment.

How do you obtain a durable power of attorney?

You may ask your attorney to provide advice regarding your particular situation and, if appropriate, to prepare the power of attorney. This may be convenient, especially if you are also having a will prepared. Some states have durable medical power of attorney forms and living will forms available at no charge.

Author: Patricia H. Latham, Washington, DC attorney, arbitrator, co-author of LEARNING DISABILITIES/ADHD AND THE LAW IN HIGHER EDUCATION AND EMPLOYMENT and SPECIAL EDUCATION LAW.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Feel free to leave a comment below regarding this article. If you have a specific question for LDA, please contact us directly.


  1. Carly M. Fretz says:

    My mother died and I tried to do everything and had help with estate bills etc.
    (I have a learning disability, P.T.S.D, and social anxiety disorder as well as A.D.D.)
    She pretty much did or helped me do everything.
    Im not looking for anything but some help with adult things.
    I have a job.
    I went to a lawyer and he’s going to charge $7000
    to help with the estate and financial part my mother left me that is just too much.
    She had a Stroke three years ago.
    We have no family so I not knowing anything about anything was now hit with her life and keeping her safe and taking on things Ive never dealt with before.
    Her adopted brother which I hardly Knew offered help.
    He took the bills from me. (that was the only thing I kinda knew how to do)
    I worked so hard running between appt. DR visits speech etc. and working as a bartender with day and night shifts.
    We worked so hard she finally could be left home alone for a few hours a day she was at 80%.
    Everything was slowing down life was not normal but we could smile again.
    She went into a hospital for a minor absence and from staff not washing their hands she caught a very disgusting infection which took her life a year later.
    Im telling you all of this not for sympathy I just want you to know where and why I need help.
    Now still not figured all out estate and my financial and taxes and stocks etc.
    Im going to Please ask you for help, advice and or resources for helping me learn how to be a grown up and do grown-up things.
    Is there any advocate help for someone in my situation?
    Im really on the verge of a mental break down Im so overwhelmed and nobody seems to understand so Im writing you.
    I need someone to help or assist me on the right path for my future.
    Thank you,
    Have a blessed day.
    Carly Fretz
    Woodlyn Pa.

    • LDA of America says:

      One place that assisted my grandmother with estate planning was the local Senior Citizen Center, which had a lawyer that could help seniors at a discounted rate. It sounds like you are faced with a very overwhelming situation. If the lawyers at your local Senior Citizen Center are not able to help you – since you’re not a senior citizen yourself – you might check with Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania in Chester. Their address is 410 Welsh Street, Chester, Pennsylvania 19013. Intake phone: (877) 429-5994. Website is http://www.lasp.org If they are not able to help you, they should be able to suggest alternative local resources.

      • Carly M. Fretz says:

        I tried getting help from places like that when she was alive.
        It being almost impossible to get anyone to listen long enough without being hung up on because she was so young and she had a good job.
        SHE not me.
        Anyway thank you for your help
        I just dont know what Im doing and taxes her stocks and her damn estate she worked so hard never to enjoy it.
        Everyone says dont trust anyone with money matters.
        Im just looking for help on financial adult issues and following the laws and putting this behind me.
        When I get done all of this Im going to send you the help guide that I already started.
        Have a blessed day.

Speak Your Mind


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.