Where can I go for low cost or free evaluation services?

Nancie Payne, Ph.D.

Nancie Payne, Ph.D.



I am an adult with learning disabilities. Where can I go for low cost or free evaluation services?


Thank you for contacting the Learning Disabilities Association of America with your question.

Here is a link to an information page about individuals who have LD and need diagnosis, but are searching for low cost evaluation services. There is a section on TANF recipients which includes other state aid opportunities.

Another option is to see if you qualify for Vocational Rehabilitation Services. If you are considering training or education toward a career or are looking for a job and are having difficulty due to a disability, your state’s department of vocational rehabilitation services may support you. The information sheet also speaks to accessing that service.

Finally, if there is an LDA state affiliate or contact in your state, they frequently have resources and information for their state and local areas. Click here to find LDA contacts throughout the United States.

Find out even more about this topic here.

Nancie Payne, Ph.D. | President/CEO | Payne & Associates, Inc.

Dr. Payne is the President/CEO of Payne & Associates, Inc. She provides education, training and employment services and supports to adolescents and adults who have cognitive, non-apparent disabilities. She, also, provides professional development and consultation to businesses and organizations. Currently, Dr. Payne is serving as President of the Learning Disabilities Association of America, 2014-16.


  1. Kim Ackerman says:

    I have a learning disabilable since birth and have struggled through my life. From grade school and high schools getting D and F In the 60s. I wanting to go to college and can’t retain information for test. Is there any help for me. I lost my jobs and can’t go to school because of being dsylisia. The DSPN at City College of San Francisco will not help me. Everytime I want to take a course CCSF tells me to take something easier.

    • ldaamerica says:

      Have you tried connecting with your Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services (DARS) in your state? It is also known as Vocational Rehabilitation. They are commissioned to help people with disabilities get the training they need and find jobs. They provide evaluations, skills assessments and will follow you through the job application process and help locate meaningful employment. Please search the internet for the DARS office closest to you.

    • I hope you are well now, Kim. Your story broke my heart. As a fellow San Francisco resident living in this bustling city and working with a Learning Disability, the struggle is unfair. I admire you optimism and hope you got to attend college!

  2. My 8 year old son has specific learning disorder in reading, writing, and math and is failing every class. The doctor also thinks he may ADHD but without the hyperactivity. The school recognizes the ADHD said their finding don’t indicate that. My school is poor and I think they just don’t have the tools to help him or the money, so they’re trying to get out of it. They are the ones that said to take him to the doctor because he needed a perscription before they could help him. I have spent $500 out of my pocket for dr. appts and tutoring that I had to fight for because they didn’t tell me they paid for (tutoring) I had to find it out on my own. Please help me!!!

Speak Your Mind