High School Equivalency Exams

Graduate Holding Diploma

What are high school equivalency exams?

High school equivalency exams are tests available for people age 16 and older who did not finish high school. Many people who did not finish high school have the same knowledge and skills as those who did graduate. Others can enroll in an adult education program to gain the knowledge and skills they need to pass a high school equivalency exam. By taking and passing one of these exams, adults can demonstrate they have acquired the same level of knowledge as someone who has completed high school. The person then earns a certificate that is accepted as a high school diploma.

There are currently three (3) high school equivalency exams available:

  • GED® Test
  • HiSet® Exam
  • TASC™ Test

The GED® Test is only available as a computer-based test. The HiSet® Exam and the TASC™ Test are both available as paper-based OR computer-based tests.

Every state offers one, two, or all three of these tests. Contact a local adult education center to find out which test(s) is given in a particular state.

Are high school equivalency exam testing accommodations available for people who have learning disabilities?


Testing accommodations are available for people who have:

  • Learning and other cognitive disabilities;
  • Intellectual disabilities;
  • Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (AD/HD);
  • Physical and chronic health disabilities; and
  • Psychological and psychiatric disorders.

Accommodations may include but are not limited to:

  • Audio format or reader
  • Braille format
  • Large-print format
  • Calculator or talking calculator
  • Use of a scribe
  • Extended time
  • Supervised extra breaks
  • Private room for testing

How much does it cost to take a high school equivalency exam?

The costs of the tests range from $18 – $150, depending on which test it is and in which state the test is given. In some states, such as California, the local adult education programs set their own fee for giving the test.

Some states may charge additional fees as well, while other states are looking for ways to offset costs for the students. There is usually no cost for taking adult education classes to prepare for taking the test.

Need help asking for testing accommodations?

If you have a disability documented by a qualified professional, ask your local adult education program to help you with the process needed to request accommodations for your disability.
Each request is considered on an individual basis. If accommodations are approved, your local testing facility will help you make arrangements to test with the approved accommodations.

If you think you may have a learning disability, but have never been diagnosed, ask your local adult education program to help you find the right resources and referrals to access an evaluation by a qualified professional.

Adult education programs also have information about testing accommodations that do not require documentation, such as earplugs, one test per day, priority seating, large-print test, straightedge, magnifying device, transparent overlays, highlighter, and the use of graph paper for working math problems.


Feel free to leave a comment below regarding this article. If you have a specific question for LDA, please contact us directly.


  1. I am an adult who has LDA ,I was in LD from third grade all the way threw high school. I had gotten pregnant with my first son and had to drop out in order to take care of him.
    I’m 40 now and Been with husband almost 24 years three kids and a grand child. I want to finish school but I want a diploma.So that I may go to collage to become a LD Teacher for elementary students
    I don’t want a GED, It don’t get you as far.My kids are growing and all will be off to start their lives.
    I feel as if I haven’t acoplished anything in my lifetime. My strongest in school was Writing, in the eighth grade I had written a story and won the contest and got to go meet R.L Stone He even signed my book. I still have it, I write a lot of short stories and poems.My weakness is Math.
    I haven’t the money and I really want to do something with my life before it’s to late. Better late than never. I have to give it a try.

    • LDA of America says

      The new GED requirements are very stringent and aligned with obtaining a high school diploma. There is nothing wrong with obtaining a GED. At this point in time of your life, I do not think any high schools will let you attend. You may check to see if you are able to attend an alternative high school in your area. However, many businesses and colleges accept a GED without any questions just like a traditional high school diploma. Many GED classes are taken at community colleges, which also assist with transitioning into those college courses so that you may be a Paraprofessional or obtain your teaching license.

Speak Your Mind


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.