Professionals Who Can Help

Professional therapist working with a young studentThere are many trained professionals available to help individuals with learning disabilities. Researching what each specialist can do to improve the issues that you or your child may be dealing with is important. Choosing the right one that best fits the needs of the individual can save time and money. Also, know that you may not have to see every specialist at once.  Trying to work on one or two issues at a time depending on the severity of the issue can help prevent burnout and still help address each issue over time. Listed are a few of the professionals and what they can do to help.


Provide assessments and exercises to measure and improve hearing ability

Educational Consultant

Furnish educational evaluations and school support

Educational Therapist

Design and implement learning and behavior programs

Learning Disabilities Specialist

A teacher with specific training and credentials to provide educational services to students with learning disabilities and their teachers


A medical doctor who looks for possible damage to brain functions


Integrates psychological observations of behavior and the mind with neurological observations of the brain and nervous system

Occupational Therapist

Evaluate and treat motor and sensory functions related to performing daily tasks


A medical doctor who provides services to infants, children and adolescents


A medical doctor who diagnoses and treats severe behavioral and emotional conditions and may prescribe medications

Clinical Psychologist

Provides psychological and intellectual assessment and treatment regarding mental and emotional health

School/Educational Psychologist

Administers psychological and educational assessments and may participate in behavior management, counseling and consultations

Speech-Language Therapist

Evaluates and treats speech and language disorders.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Feel free to leave a comment below regarding this article. If you have a specific question for LDA, please contact us directly.


  1. Music Therapy is also a good profession to turn to for help.

    • MARY V REYES says

      Hello to all and anyone who can offer guidance on our issue. My son, now 39, while in elementary was diagnosed with ADD and reading dyslexia. While in school he was provided the services for these. He did attempt college, but to no avail. He did attend technical training (electrician) school and has held jobs but they don’t last to long. He seems frustrated and does not see this as much of an accomplishment. He has mentioned some interest in going back for something else, doesn’t know what. All this is not frustrating for him, but also for us, his parents. We are comeing of age and we wonder what is going to happen to him with no job or career. By the way I have a friend who is experiencing the same thing with the exception her son is much younger, he is in his early 20’s. So anyone that can offer any suggestions, leads, etc. it would certainly by appreciated by many people. By the way we live in Texas. Thank you all.

      • LDA of America says

        It is definitely difficult when you watch your child who is not able to reach his potential! I talked to one of our committee members who is also in Texas, and she recommended that you locate an AEL (Adult Education and Literacy) program in your area. She said that it sounds like he would benefit from AEL services and goal setting, and then they can maybe place him in an Integrated and Education (IET) program where he prepares for a certificate in a specific industry. Wishing you and your friend all the best in this journey!

  2. I have a 12-year-old son who will be 13 in a few months, and I have no doubt that my son has a learning disability. At his age he reads at 2nd grade level at best, and his writing is closer to 1st grade. Has trouble tying his shoes, combing his hair, tends to repeat things, mumbles, ect. He’s always had delays, his first words were not spoken till he was almost 4 years old. I’ve been to various doctors, and was told to not worry about it, that he’s just a “late bloomer”. When it came to starting school it was a struggle, they gave up on him. They started having him just do coloring pages. When I asked I why I was basically told that there was other children who needed help, and they just didn’t have the time for him. So we took him out and started to homeschool, and have been doing so for the past 4 years. But it has been an uphill battle, he tries and I know he does, and I tell him “just try your best, that’s all anyone can do”. I desperately need help, the few resources that are out there we simply can’t afford and are not covered by our insurance. We live pay check to pay check on 1 income. If anyone knows of any resources that might help please, please let me know. I don’t know what else to do to help my son.

    • If your child was in special education while in the public school, you can request that the school pay/provide some of the services. This can included a tutor, speech or OT services. They may request that you bring your child to the school at a set time for the services, they may send a tutor to your home, or pay for private services. Even if your home schooling your child still has the right to a FAPE, but you may have to work out some of the details with your local school system.

  3. My daughter is in 2nd grade and having a lot of trouble with math, reading, and spelling, to the point that the school wants to move her into a 1st grade class. She was home schooled since kindergarten, and due to the struggles with teaching her my husband and I decided it would be best to try public school in hopes that they could address her learning needs. She has not yet been evaluated for a specific learning disability. Where should I start? I have scheduled a pediatrician appointment to evaluate for ADD/ADHD, but I feel like holding her back will not address the problem and will actually cause self esteem issues. Is there something else I can do? Thanks in advance!

    • My daughter is currently in 3rd grade,she always needed help with her reading writing spelling.,but his time her teacher suggested to get her tested for learning disabilities…I’m really worried and scared,what should I do?

      • Get her tested asap…the sooner you can get her assistance the better off she will be. It may be a minor adjustment in teaching methods that needs to happen to get her on her way…

    • Once she is tested then a correct plan as to her educational path can happen. I would not move her back because that can cause many more issues, including her self esteem as you mentioned, & may not solve the problem. Get her diagnosed & then get her a tutor who has the methods needed to catch her up once you know what the issue is. She is still young enough & has time to get to where she needs to be academically.

  4. i need to find help getting an evaluation and diagnosis. ive been severally discriminated against by the college im attending. i need help to find support so i can make it through this and get my degree. please help! im in colorado. i checked fo links but couldnt find any on here.

  5. Vady Khalil says


    I was a very good student with high grades but then I increased the amount of work but my grades start going down so I asked someone and she told me I should get tested for learning disabilities because she knows people who got tested and went on medications and they are much better now, so I do not know where to go and get tested.


  1. […] You will also need to see your medical provider.  A routine physical can rule out any other physical or medical conditions that may be causing the issues you have identified.  A complete list of professionals who can help can be found here. […]

Speak Your Mind


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.