National experts in education, child care and children’s health issue joint call to get lead out of schools and child care facilities, which enroll more than 66 million children in the U.S.

The report, “Eliminating Lead Risks in Schools and Child Care Facilities,” outlines strategies to ensure lead-free learning environments and prevent risks to significant numbers of children across the country. The report is the result of a workshop convened by the Learning Disabilities Association of America, Children’s Environmental Health Network and Healthy Schools Network.

Lead has no place in learning environments. Even low levels of lead are linked to learning disabilities, attention problems and IQ deficits,” said Maureen Swanson, Healthy Children Project Director, Learning Disabilities Association of America. “Getting lead out of schools and child care facilities is doable and will protect children where they spend hours each day learning, playing and growing.

Workshop participants included representatives of the American Federation of Teachers, National Association of School Nurses, the School Superintendents Association, American Academy of Pediatrics, National Association of Family Child Care, National Association for the Education of Young Children, Child Care Aware of America, American Public Health Association, National Medical Association, Institute for Tribal Environmental Professionals, and several federal agencies, along with organizations working to address lead in paint, water, building materials and products.


Click here for the entire Press Release.

Full Report – Click on Image to Read.

Use this image for social media posts

Click here for an article in the Journal of American Medicine, based on Project Tendr’s recommendations, on “Establishing and Achieving National Goals for Preventing Lead Toxicity and Exposure in Children.”

Click here for More on Project Tendr and their consensus statement.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Feel free to leave a comment below regarding this article. If you have a specific question for LDA, please contact us directly.


  1. Tammy Torres says

    I’m 37-year-old mom of two And I have always struggled with math and reading and memory some cases I really need help I’m trying to figure out if I could get tested or evaluated because years ago I lost my mom when I was 17 and after that I dropped out of school and I didn’t finish my high school so for the past few years I have been trying to get my high school diploma And I study And Study And I can never pass my test I tried about four years back to do my GED and all the test I failed just recently I tested for the Highset And I did not pass it and I have been studying for three months on that one test I just want to make sure and see if I do you have a Learning disability I was in special ed for some of my classes growing up so do you think you can help me Thank you so much

    • LDA of America says

      You can request testing accommodations on the GED or the HiSET test if you have current (within the last 5 years) documentation of a learning disability. If you were in Special Education in school, you may have been diagnosed with a learning disability as a child. However, that documentation would no longer be current. You can find information about getting a new LD assessment at Following the assessment process, if you are diagnosed with LD, you should take the new documentation to your local adult education program to begin the process of requesting testing accommodations. Also, discuss your areas of strengths and challenges with your teacher so he or she can help you find appropriate and effective classroom accommodations and strategies to help you learn and remember what you learn. Typical requested accommodations include extra time, a private room for testing, a reader for the test, access to a calculator for the entire math portion of the test, and/or a scribe to enter their answers on the computer. Other accommodations may be accepted as well; again, it depends on the specific learning disability of the individual and what their evaluation supports regarding needed accommodations. Contact your local adult education program to get state- and program-specific information about the process for requesting testing accommodations.

Speak Your Mind


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.