by Myrna, Mandlawitz, LDA Policy Director
The 115th Congress began on January 1, 2017. Generally when a new Congress is seated, especially after a presidential election and change in Administration, they do not get to work until after the inauguration. This Congress changed that practice and began work immediately. Part of that process is selection of committee chairmen and ranking members, and that activity is well under way.
LDA encourages its members to be active in developing relationships with their representatives and senators, especially when those individuals hold key position in the Congress. The organization closely follows the activities of several committees, including the House and Senate education committees and the budget and appropriations committees that deal with funding LDA’s priority programs.
In the 115th Congress all committee and subcommittee chairmen are Republicans, since that party controls both the House and the Senate. Committee and subcommittee ranking members are the most senior members of the minority party, in this case the Democrats. Following are the chairmen and ranking members of some key committees that LDA follows:
- Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP)
- Chairman: Senator Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
- Ranking Member: Senator Patty Murray (D-WA)
- House Committee on Education and the Workforce
- Chairman: Representative Virginia Foxx (R-NC)
- Ranking Member: Representative Bobby Scott (D-VA)
- Senate Committee on Budget
- Chairman: Senator Mike Enzi (R-WY)
- Ranking Member: Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT)
- House Committee on Budget
- Chairman: Representative Diane Black (R-TN; Interim Chairman)
- Ranking Member: Representative John Yarmuth (D-KY)
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Chairman: Senator Thad Cochran (R-MS)
- Ranking Member: Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT)
- House Committee on Appropriations
- Chairman: Representative Rodney Freylinghuysen (R-NJ)
- Ranking Member: Representative Nita Lowey (D-NY).
LDA will continue to update this list as additional committee and subcommittee chairmen, ranking members, and rank and file committee members are selected.