Students often struggle with why they learn differently than their peers. The problems presented when you’re child or young adult with learning disabilities often does not become obvious until a child reaches school age. Even then, difficulties may be subtle and hard to recognize.
Here you will find a wealth of information on understanding learning disabilities, negotiating the special education process, and advocating for yourself.
Featured Articles & Resources
New to LD
If you are just learning that you have a learning disability you may be confused and not know where to begin. It can be a daunting and complicated task. But don’t despair. LDA is here to help you understand this new diagnosis and lead you to the right support systems.
Specific Learning Disabilities
- DyscalculiaA specific learning disability that affects a person’s ability to understand numbers and learn math facts.
- DysgraphiaA specific learning disability that affects a person’s handwriting ability and fine motor skills.
- DyslexiaA specific learning disability that affects reading and related language-based processing skills.
- Non-Verbal Learning DisabilitiesHas trouble interpreting nonverbal cues like facial expressions or body language and may have poor coordination.
- Oral / Written Language Disorder and Specific Reading Comprehension DeficitLearning disabilities that affect an individual’s understanding of what they read or of spoken language. The ability to express one’s self with oral language may also be impacted.
- ADHDA disorder that includes difficulty staying focused and paying attention, controlling behavior and hyperactivity.
- DyspraxiaA disorder which causes problems with movement and coordination, language and speech.
- Executive FunctioningAffects, planning, organization, strategizing, attention to details and managing time and space.
Support for Students
ADHD often begins in childhood and can persist into adulthood. It may contribute to low self-esteem, troubled relationships, and difficulty at school or work.
Symptoms include limited attention and hyperactivity.
- Adult Testing
Learn about accommodations and testing.
- Adults with Learning Disabilities
Workplace, college, and other important information for adults with LD.
Accommodations, testing, and other important information for college students with LD.
- Core Principles
Learn about the core principles of learning disabilities that LDA uses as the basis to address policy and practice in the field of LD.
- LD/ADHD Basics
Learning Disabilities (LD) and Attention Deficit Disorder (ADHD) affects millions of children and adults in school and in everyday life. It is a life-long condition. Fortunately, with the right understanding, support, and appropriate interventions, individuals with learning disabilities can become successful students and adults. Learning the basics about LD and ADHD is an important start to getting help. After the signs and symptoms of LD are recognized, the appropriate assessment and evaluation will be needed to determine the right strategies to help the individual.
Read about current LDA actions and LD issues in the news.
- Post Secondary Options
- Pre-K thru High School
- Success Stories
Guides & Booklets
- College Guide for Students with Learning DisabilitiesIn this guide from BestColleges.com, students and families will find an overview of the transition into college, a guide to college accommodations & assistive learning technology as well as key strategies, resources, scholarships and more for students with learning disabilities.